Before pondering about the diet plan please note these thumb rules for diabetes diet
1. A strict no for sweets, chocolates, ice creams, jams, jellies etc
2. Stay away from fats- avoid ghee, butter, deep fried foods, red meat etc
3. Divide your diet in 5-6 small portions spread over a day. The best way is 3 small meals 2 healthy snacks.
4. Include more vegetables and fruits.
Here is an example for south Indian diabetes diet plan. Please consult your physician or qualified dietician before implementing any diet plans.
Early morning- A glass of karela juice or methi powder mixed in warm water or chewing of 5-10 neem leaves in empty stomach.
Breakfast (normal serving)
1.Chose any one of these -3idlis /2 dosas/ 1 small plate upama/ 1 small plate pongal/ two chapathis (without oil)/ whole wheat bread 3 slices/
2.Chutney or sambar can be opted for side dish.
3.Include a small bowl of vegetable salad or sprouts or fruits with less sugar content (sweet lime/ orange/ apple/ papaya)
4.Tea / low fat skimmed milk/ water (without sugar or honey)
A glass of butter milk (without salt) / green tea (without sugar or honey)/ 1 orange/1 sweet lime / 2 diet marie biscuits. Skip fruits if you have consumed fruits for breakfast.
1.Brown rice / broken wheat rice 1 small bowl
2.Thick vegetable sambar -1 big bowl
3.Mixed vegetable curry 1 cup
4.Rasam – 1cup
5.Roasted papad -1
6.Butter milk -1 cup
7.Fruits (papaya, sweet lime, orange) – ½ cup
Tea/coffee/ low fat skimmed milk (without sugar) 1 cup with 2 diet Marie biscuit / 2 rusks
Dinner (2 hours before going to bed):
1. chapathi (without oil)- 1
2. Mixed vegetable curry/subzi 1 cup
3. Brown rice / broken wheat rice/ green gram pongal/ 1 cup
4. Rasam – 1cup
5. Roasted papad -1
Before going to bed:
1 apple / ½ cup papaya/ 1 sweet lime/ 1 orange/
Diabetic patients lose water through sweating and increased frequency of urination. Hence drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration, urinary tract infection, constipation and other complications which arise due to less consumption of water.