“Casting the Net: Envision your Success”
Everything that exists in our modern world was first conceived in the mind. The power of imagination is evident in the modern world all around us. We recognize and acknowledge it so readily art and music, and yet we most often forget that imagination also directs the way we live our lives.
Albert Einstein understood the faculty of imagination. He knew that dwelling on what was purely “realistic” negated the magic of limitless possibility. And thus a not particularly good student working in the U.S. patent office became an icon for intelligence and imagination. Roger Bannister was the first person to run a four-minute mile. If hed believed everyone who said it wasnt possible, he would never have broken the world record.
Exceptional people have the courage to dream big. The first step to success in any endeavor, whether the goal is to achieve your desired weight, start a new business, or improve your marriage, is to imagine what it will be like when you are there. Take a couple minutes for yourself and follow these steps:
1. Bring to mind something that you really want, but don’t fully believe you can have, or deserve.
2. Pretend it’s one year from now, and that you have achieved the best possible outcome.
3. How do you look, feel, or act?
4. Experience what is it like to have succeeded.
5. Now, take this information, and write it down, sketch it out, or tell someone about it!
This short exercise activates your imagination, which is, in essence, directing the flow of energy. By imagining your ideal, you set in motion a chain of events that lead to your success. My maternal grandmother, a successful entrepreneur, used to say to me, “Think longer, think smarter, think BIGGER!”