Copyright 2006 Cari Vollmer
Imagine this day: You wake up in the morning, feeling well-rested and at peace because you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what you need to do to live the life you most want. You have a clear vision of what you want your life to look and feel like and a sound strategy that will get you there. In fact, not only does the future look promising; TODAY feels great. You are proud of yourself. You feel confident in your ability to create and live the life you most want, today and well into the future.
How you feel about yourself plays an important role in your ability to live your best life. With a healthy self-confidence (aka, self-image, self-esteem, self-respect) youll take more chances and overcome obstacles — faster. Youll set your SELF in motion which will set the world around you in motion. Youll get what you want and each time you do your confidence will soar and the belief you have in yourself will grow stronger. Youll see life through the eyes of a person who not only BELIEVES they can do it you WILL do it!
How do you BOOST your self-confidence? Here are 5 easy-to-try-out tips.
1. Speak well of yourself. In the Four Agreements, Don Miguel Ruiz writes, Through the word you express your creative power. It is through the word you manifest everything. your intent manifests through your word. Depending on how it is used, the word can set you free, or it can enslave you even more than you know.
We become what we think about most of the time. We become what we say about ourselves. If you continually tell yourself you cant do something, or that you dont have what it takes, youre sure to create that reality for yourself, because that is how you see yourself. On the other hand, if you repeatedly say and think to yourself something like, I am capable of creating a life I love, soon you will begin creating a life you love.
Speak well of yourself and youll begin believing you do have what it takes to create and live the life you most want.
2. Surround yourself with self-confident people and positive environments. Sounds a bit obvious, but if you have friends that lack confidence, you probably do too. Thats because your environment, what and who you surround yourself with, plays a big role in how you see and treat yourself.
Negative environments are hard to break free from but break free is what you must do. If youre surrounded by people who criticize others (and you) and speak poorly of themselves get out! Remove yourself from their company. In fact, no company is better than toxic company. Seek out friends who are confident and youll feel your confidence increasing.
3. Take action on what you say youre going to take action on or dont say it! Dont say youre going to do something unless you really intend to do it. Weve all experienced the big talker the person who talks about their big plans but never does anything to make them happen. The big talker loses face because no one believes theyll do what they say theyre going to do.
Don’t lose face with yourself. ONLY talk about things you intend to take action on or dont talk about them. Walk your talk. Keep your promises. Be impeccable with your words and youll become a person of integrity. Integrity breeds confidence.
4. Accept fear and obstacles as a natural part of life and growth. Dont beat yourself up when you find yourself gripped by fear and other emotions. Dont judge yourself for having these feelings. And dont feel like youre inadequate or dont have what it takes. From time to time, everyone feels afraid, confused and out of sorts. Be aware when these feelings are present but dont let them stop you. Keep moving forward by telling yourself youre much more than the obstacles you face and failures you experience.
5. Take time out to focus on all that you have done well. Once a month, take a few moments to write down all that you have done well its probably more than you think. Acknowledge the work you do, your strengths and accomplishments on a regular basis. In doing so, youll begin seeing yourself as a person who does things right and gets things done. Youll begin seeing and appreciating all the good you do.
Practice just one of these tips and youll start feeling better about yourself. Practice more than one on a consistent basis and your life will change – guaranteed!
You deserve to live a life you feel great about. Dont settle for less because you lack the confidence to go after what you want. BOOST your confidence and youll wake up each morning feeling like anythings possible!
To have that sense of one’s intrinsic worth which constitutes self-respect is potentially to have everything JOAN DIDION