Aromatherapy is basically “treatment using scents". It is a holistic treatment of working with pleasant smelling botanical oils called essential oils. The essential oils are used in a variety of ways; they are added to the bath or massaged into the skin, inhaled directly or diffused to scent an entire room.
The essential oils are aromatic essences extracted from plants, flowers, trees, fruits, bark, grasses and seeds There are about 150 essential oils.
Basic Essential Oils
- Lavender-overall first aid oil; antiviral and antibacterial, boosts immunity, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic.
- Chamomile-anti-inflammatory, antiallergenic, digestive, relaxant, antidepressant.
- Marjoram-antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic.
- Rosemary-stimulating to circulation, relieves pain, decongestant, improves circulation.
- Tea tree-antifungal, anti-yeast, antibacterial.
- Cypress-astringent, stimulating to circulation, antiseptic, astringent.
- Peppermint-digestive, clears sinuses, antiseptic, decongestant, stimulant.
- Eucalyptus-decongestant, antiviral, antibacterial, stimulant.
- Bergamot-antidepressant, ant parasitic, anti-inflammatory.
- Geranium-balancing to mind and body, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory.
- Allspice –Calming, mood uplifting, improves digestion.
- Anise -Breathing, digestion, calming.
- Basil- muscular pain, colds, depression, fatigue.
- Bergamot- disinfectant, depression, calming, mental clarity.
- Atlas Cedar -anti-stress, anxiety, clear sinus, mental clarity, meditative aid.
- Cinnamon- improves digestion, disinfectant, mood uplifting, anti-stress.
- Clary Sage –pms discomfort, muscular pain, anti-stress, mood uplifting, aphrodisiac.
- Cypress- female hormonal, mood uplifting, skin care.
- Frankincense- skin care, pms, anti-stress.
- Jasmine- mood uplifting, aphrodisiac, muscular pain, anti-stress.
- Juniper- skin care, pms, anti-stress, calming, muscular pain.
- Myrrh- skin care, calming, mood uplifting.
- Patchouly– skin care, anti-stress, mood uplifting, aphrodisiac.
- Sandalwood –skin care, anti-stress, pms, depression, meditative aid.
- Ylang Ylang– sleep aid, mood uplifting, anti-stress, pms, aphrodisiac.
Treatments & Cures
Aromatherapy can be used to promote relaxation, lower anxiety for people suffering from dementia. It has been used successfully to help reduce the effects of aggression (Snyder 1995), and disturbed behavior in individuals with severe dementia (Brooker et al. 1997).
Tea tree has been proven to be effective in the treatment of acne, athletes foot, and nail infections
Aches & Pain
To overcome the discomforts of muscle aches and pains caused by cramps or cramping you have quiet a variety of aromatic essential oils you can use. Eucalyptus is one of the best natural remedies available Lavender is a wonderful natural healer is able to do so many things. It is especially useful not only for pain relief but for relief of headaches as well. Ginger is another essential oil that works wonder for aches and pains.
The bowels can become irritated or infected by various foods. Ginger, peppermint, fennel, coriander and dill help counter gas. Peppermint is specific for irritable-bowel syndrome. For constipation, use rosemary or black pepper. For diarrhea use cypress, cinnamon and myrrh. Garlic is one of the best ways to eliminate worms for the whole family. Rosemary, thyme, tea tree and chamomile kill many types of worms; chamomile also decreases the resulting intestinal inflammation.
Increase the body’s resistance to disease by improving its ability to fight infection. Many plants have immune-modulating properties. Lavender, lemon, bergamot, thyme, chamomile, pine, sandalwood, myrrh and vetiver stimulate production of infection-fighting white corpuscles.
Oils can stimulate or relax the nervous system. For stress in general, try bergamot, chamomile, lavender, melissa, clary sage, neroli, rose or jasmine. Headaches due to nervous tension are also helped by these oils.
For insomnia due to mental agitation or overwork, clary sage, marjoram, ylang-ylang and neroli can help you unwind.
PMS and Menstrual Cramps
PMS (premenstrual syndrome) and menstrual cramps can be responsible for headaches, bowel changes, nausea, breast tenderness, joint pain and water retention, and contribute to moodiness, irritability and alcohol cravings-all common PMS symptoms. Ginger, cinnamon, cloves, thyme and garlic lower these symptoms and can be eaten in foods. Relieve menstrual cramps with essential oils of chamomile, lavender, marjoram and melissa. For depression associated with PMS, nothing is better than clary sage, but you may also try neroli, jasmine and ylang-ylang. If you experience water retention, use grapefruit, carrot seed and juniper.
ENT & Respiratory
Afflictions of the respiratory system include irritation and infection of the ears, nose and throat. Respiratory problems also may involve congestion, which can be decreased by inhaling rosemary (especially the verbenone type), hyssop (use var. decumbens only), tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender or peppermint. Cypress helps dry up a persistent runny nose, and peppermint, tea tree and eucalyptus reduce sinus infection. Anise and cypress help reduce coughing.
Between attacks try a chest rub of German chamomile, frankincense or lavender. During an asthma attack, give a bath or treat the feet with these oils.