There is a television ad with the tagline “Your dreams miss you.” That line really caught my attention since one of my passions is to connect people to their dreams. The commercial was selling sleep-aids but I began to wonder about my own dreams, goals and aspirations. Had I visited them lately? Were they missing me?
What about you? Are your dreams missing you? If so, here are the Top 10 Ways to Reconnect with Your Dreams.
1. Find your dreams If your dreams are missing you, take 3-5 minutes to pause right now and ponder these questions:
a. What would I do if I knew I couldn’t fail?
b. What would I do differently with my life if money weren’t an issue?
c. What would you have or experience that would bring you more joy?
2. Make a list of your dreams It is said that only 3% of adults actually take the time to write down their goals and dreams. As you are contemplating the questions above, write down whatever comes up. Write as many dreams, wishes and goals as you’d like. Just make a list.
3. Remove the limits and quiet the “yeah, but’s” Once you even begin to consider connecting to your dream, the “yeah, but ” inner critic can rear its ugly head with, “Who do you think you are, to want ” Whether it’s a material possession, like a luxury car, or a raise or promotion, or to follow your dream of becoming an artist, that question can halt and haunt and paralyze the dreamer. Do your best to silence your inner critic. You can say, “Thank you for sharing, I’m just playing” to get it to quiet down. For now, just play. Have fun with this process and dream big dreams!
4. Sit with your list for a few days Don’t commit to any particular dream just yet. Look at your list every day for as long as a week or two. Add to it, revise it, create new lists and delete dreams that no longer serve you. I keep a 3×5 note pad with me at all times. If I have a delayed appointment or extra time on my hands, I pull out my list and see if there’s anything I’ve missed. Revisiting your list regularly will help you decide what really matters to you and what you might like to focus on.
5. Choose one or two dreams Look for dreams on your list that have juice or excite you. They need to be big enough and enlivening enough for you to fight for them and give them the attention they deserve. Make sure you really, really, really want each dream. If you don’t or if it’s too small, you won’t work for it.
6. Take a step Before you even think about making an action plan, which can be quite a daunting task, simply ask yourself what one step you could take today to live your dream. If you want a new car, could you request a brochure at the dealership? If you want a house, can you schedule a house-hunting day? Just take one step, that’s all.
7. Notice how the step feels It’s important to evaluate along the way to your dream how you are feeling and whether this dream is something you truly want. Be willing to make a change, try new ways of doing things to really see if this dream will bring you joy. If it doesn’t, evaluate, adjust and take a new step.
8. Create an action plan Now that you’ve taken a couple of steps, a direction may have unfolded. Take the time to really look at your dream and create a plan on how to get from where you are to where you want to go. Write down the steps, with a timeline, and continue to move in the direction of your dreams.
9. Gather your tools After you have written down your plan, you will want to evaluate what you need to accomplish your dream. Do you need equipment, training, support or funds? Write down everything you need to accomplish your dream and then add in those details to your action plan.
10. Get help If you’ve struggled in the past with manifesting or even believing in your dreams, see what a difference support can make. Professional athletes and musicians got where they are with coaching and guidance. Personally, I have several coaches, and I also belong to peer communities where I can ask questions, be accountable, get and give support. Begin to create a network of people and communities who will support you and your dream, and you’ll get there faster.
If your dreams are missing you, now is the perfect time to reconnect and breathe new life into them. You deserve for all of your dreams to come true. Believe it, take action and make it happen.
Copyright © 2007 Kamin Bell