Crossword puzzles refer to group of words that are arranged horizontally and vertically. This is designed this way so that each of the word will cross at least one other word though a letter that is common to both. Unlike before that crossword puzzles can only be found in newspapers, now people can solve it through published books and other compilations as well as in online.
WHY SOLVE CROSSWORD PUZZLES?
Many peopleespecially those that are in the field of computer such as programmers and technician, those in the field of writing such as scribes and editors, as well as those in the field of education such as professors and teachersare getting hooked in solving crossword puzzles. Their common reason: it is a good exercise for the mind.
Aside from stretching the possibilities of your mind, here are other benefits in solving crossword puzzles:
1. It lightens the person’s mood. People who play crossword puzzles are believed to have lighter moods compared to those who don’t because they have an outlet to their emotions. If one solves a crossword puzzle, his or her energy will be diverted into it and will lead him or her to a lighter feeling once the puzzle is finished.
2. It keeps the wits sharp. Puzzle solvers as well as medical experts would agree that by solving crossword puzzles, the wits get sharper and sharper everyday because the mind is being exercised to think more.
3. It gives a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment. People who are hooked into solving crossword puzzles agree that after a puzzle has been completed, they get a feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment that they don’t get from other activities. This is because crossword puzzles enable the player to see the challenge starting from the very start till the very end. Once the boxes or spaces have been filled out with a word or words, it gives the player a very satisfying feeling for completing a seemingly simple but hard task.
4. It encourages people to have time alone for themselves. Puzzles in general are considered as “solitary activities” because only one person is needed to solve it. But since it is played by a single person only, it encourages people to have some time alone by themselves to think and reflect.
5. When played regularly, it lowers the percentage of risk of dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and other age-related neurological disorders. Medical experts reported that people who are solving crossword puzzles at least five times a week have lesser risks for dementia compared to those who solve these only once a week. This is because crossword puzzles encourage the mind to be exercised to find the answers.
6. It aids relaxation. Solving crossword puzzles provides relaxation to the person’s the body, mind, and soul. For some, solving crossword puzzle serves as a form of relaxation because it gives the person some time off to the busy world outside.
7. It helps people to live a healthier life in general. Solving crossword puzzles helps people to free themselves from various vices and addictions such as alcohol and cigarettes as well as in various medications such as tranquilizers and narcotics. Since solving crossword puzzles would take so much of the person’s time, he or she could veer away from many unhealthy as well as depressing thoughts.