Acidity means the excess secretion of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach. The stomach secrets hydrochloric acid and that acid is responsible for proper functioning of the digestive system. A normal level of acid is required in the stomach for proper digestion of foods. When there is less secretion of acid the food is not digested properly and in case of excess secretion it gives rise to a condition which is known as acidity.
Causes of Acidity
* Refined and fibreless food are the main cause of acidity.
* Stress is the also main cause.
* Smoking and excess of alcohol weakens the nervous system, as a result the mucus membrane and the stomach lining stops functioning properly.
* High intakes of spicy foods, overeating and eating hurriedly are the causes of acidity.
Home Remedies for Acidity
* Sucking a piece of clove give relief from acidity.
* Consumption of milk and milk products are useful during acidity.
* Intake of fresh mint juice daily provide relief from acidity.
* The fruits like watermelon, banana and cucumber reduce acidity.
* Taking a mixture of two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and two teaspoons of honey in a glass of water before meals reduce the chances of acidity.
* Boil cumin seeds in a glass of water and then drink it with meals.
* Intake of spicy foods, fried foods and pickles should be restricted.
* Unripe foods with high pectin content should also be restricted.
* Herbal tea containing spearmint (pudina) and liquorice (mulethi) are very beneficial instead of normal tea, coffee and other aerated drinks.
* Drinking water in the early morning controls acidity, as water is a good neutralizer for acid.
* Frequent use of medicines like aspirin or disprin should be restricted.
* Sucking 10 grams of jaggery after meals prevent acid formation.
* Drinking cabbage juice daily prevents acidity.
* Raw salad of vegetables like onion, radish should not be taken.
* It is always better to have the dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed.
* Drinking coconut water 4-5 times a day prevents acidity.
* Eating yogurt provides immediate relief from acidity.
* Drinking a glass of water with a teaspoon of soda is very beneficial.
* Intake of 2-3 tablespoons of white vinegar provides relief from acidity.