There are lots of different ways to increase your brain power. Your brain is like any other “muscle” in your body and grows stronger the more it is used. Here are some that you can start using immediately to boost the power of your brain:
1. Use your brain more (duh!) Sounds easy. But how many times do you reach for the keyboard to search for something you already know but can’t be bothered to remember? How many times do you use a calculator, even for really simple calculations, rather than mental arithmetic? Set yourself a goal to complete a new puzzle each day. Whether it’s a crossword, Sudoku, a brainteaser or whatever.
2. Think young Play with thinking like a child, even if only occasionally. Question everything. Just keep asking “why” is a good way to do this. As soon as you’ve answered a question once, ask why again. And again. And again. This is actually a very useful way of brainstorming yourself. And by the way, “because that’s the way I’ve always done it” doesn’t count as an answer!
3. Jot down your new ideas So often, we come up with new ideas but put them in the “impossible” container in our brain. Jot them down on paper and go back through your list on a regular basis. Chances are that you’ll notice a couple themes evolving. They’re your minds way of telling you that you need to do something. Follow up on the ideas you most like.
4. Get creative Especially if you are always working on non-creative ideas. Getting creative forces your brain to use different parts of itself and will broaden your horizons.
5. Take supplements Certain supplements help keep our brains active. These include Ginko Biloba and Omega 3 fatty acids. You probably aren’t getting these through your normal diet, so take a trip to your local health food store (or Amazon for that matter) and get some good supplements to get your brain moving again.
6. Relax OK. How can relaxation stimulate your brain? Quite easily, actually. Too often in our hectic lives we are constantly on the move, busy busy busy. Give yourself some time to relax and chill. You can do this with a novel, your favorite music, exercise, anything that you know will relax you. Learning to relax more will reduce any tension that’s built up in your body. In turn, this will free up your brain for other tasks.
7. Test yourself See whether you can remember what you ate for dinner yesterday, then a week ago, then a month ago. Don’t limit yourself to food. Use events and names and facts and figures. Anything that will cause your brain to delve deep to find the answer. Don’t beat yourself up if you can’t instantly remember everything. Just go with it and start improving your memory power.
8. Play a game There are lots of new video games coming out that are designed specifically to boost your brain power. Play one or two of these to see which you get on with best and then make a habit of playing them regularly.