It’s that time of year and what better way to celebrate the holiday of Hanukkah than with some inspiring and uplifting Hanukkah quotes? Miracles are in short supply, and a jug of oil refilling itself for eight days is something to remember for eternity. Whether it’s your favorite holiday of the year or you’re not fully sure what it’s all about, these 5 Hanukkah quotes are the perfect way to get into this wonderful Jewish holiday.
1. “They celebrated it for eight days with gladness like Sukkot and recalled how a little while before, during Sukkot, they had been wandering in the mountains and caverns like wild animals.So carrying lulavs …they offered hymns of praise to God who had brought to pass the purification of His own place.” ~ II Maccabees 10. 6-7
2. “The miracle, of course, was not that the oil for the sacred light – in a little cruse – lasted as long as they say; but that the courage of the Maccabees lasted to this day:let that nourish my flickering spirit. ~ Charles Reznikoff
3. “In the old days, it was not called the Holiday Season; the Christians called it “Christmas” and went to church; the Jews called it “Hanukkah” and went to synagogue; the atheists went to parties and drank. People passing each other on the street would say “Merry Christmas!” or “Happy Hanukkah!” or (to the atheists) ‘Look out for the wall!'” ~ Dave Barry
4. “The lights of the Hanukkah menorah that we kindle in our homes are a reminder both of the Menorah in the Temple in Jerusalem and the light that shines brightly within each one of us. For as it says in Proverbs 20:27 — The candle of God is the soul of man.” ~ Libi Astair
5. “At this time of year, when the sun is most hidden, the holiday of Hanukkah celebrates the rays of hope and light. Indeed, the physical darkness of this time of year can be a metaphor for the darkness that often envelopes us at times of illness and loss of a loved one, when the world sometimes feels dark and cold. At such times, we yearn for the sun, and the light and warmth that it provides. Often, it is through simple and unrecognized miracles that we are able to feel the warmth of hope and light.” ~ Rabbi Rafael Goldstein
Miracles, celebration, triumph — they are all a part of the Hanukkah tradition. This year as we celebrate the Hanukkah season, let’s remember the true spirit of the holiday with these five Hanukkah quotes.