Inner peace is not reserved only to yogis, hermits or monks, sitting alone in a far off place, praying or meditating all day long. It can also be attained by people living an ordinary life, who have a job, married and with children.
Inner peace is a state of being emotionally and mentally at peace and strong in the face of discord or stress. It is the opposite of being stressed or anxious.
True inner peace is independent of external conditions and circumstances, and is acquired through special training. It confers tranquility, inner harmony and balance, and the ability to remain calm, undisturbed and unhurried in difficult and unpleasant situations.
It eliminates anxieties, fears and worries, negative thoughts, stress and lack of satisfaction and happiness. It is a state of emotional and mental poise, happiness, confidence and inner strength.
Though almost everyone desires it, albeit unconsciously, few realize its importance and benefits, and very few know that it is a skill that can be learned and developed. You can stay where you are, without making external changes in your life, and yet attain inner peace. You might progress fast or at a slower pace, you might make a great progress or little progress, yet, any amount of inner peace gained is a great achievement and will transform your life.
There are many reasons why you need inner peace. Here are 20 reasons to consider:
1. Inner peace improves your ability to concentrate.
2. It improves the ability to handle efficiently the daily affairs of life.
3. It increases your inner strength and power.
4. It eliminates impatience, anger, nervousness and restlessness.
5. It helps manifesting patience, tolerance and tact.
6. It makes you feel centered, grounded, and stable.
7. Being mentally and emotionally calm contributes to improved sleep.
8. You gain the ability to be emotionally and mentally unaffected by what people think or say about you.
9. It eliminates stress, anxieties and worries.
10. It brings inner happiness and bliss.
11. It increases self mastery and self discipline.
12. It relaxes the body and nerves.
13. The healing energies of the body work unhindered.
14. Being peaceful enables you not to be swayed by events, hardships and difficulties, and to maintain inner poise, clear judgement and common sense in such situations.
15. Inner peace eliminates negative, futile and restless thinking.
16. It improves your relationships with other people.
17. It makes life look brighter.
18. It increases creativity.
19. It makes it easier to meditate.
20. It is the gateway to enlightenment and spiritual awakening.
True inner peace is important not only while things move smoothly, but especially in times of trouble, difficulties or danger. Then it counts most.