It is March again and for basketball fans it means just one thing: March Madness! The collegiate tradition is upon us.
Many will continue to watch, even if their team has been eliminated just for the drama and excitement. This leads to great highlights and marvelous basketball quotes.
Every year there seems to be a “Cinderella” team that the whole country cheers for. The atmosphere is wild and makes for some memorable moments.
Here are some of our favorite basketball quotes:
1) “We can’t win at home and we can’t win on the road. My problem as general manager is I can’t think of another place to play.” ~ Pat Williams
2) “The rule was “No autopsy, no foul.” ~ Stewart Granger
3) “When I dunk, I put something on it. I want the ball to hit the floor before I do.” ~ Darryl Dawkins
4) “The secret is to have eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy.” ~ Jerry Tarkanian
5) “The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play “Drop the Handkerchief.” ~ James Naismith
6) “Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.” ~ Red Auerbach
7) “If I weren’t earning $3 million a year to dunk a basketball, most people on the street would run in the other direction if they saw me coming.” ~ Charles Barkley
8) “If you are going to take it to the bank, then you better cash it in.” ~ Shannon Fish
9) “When it’s played the way is spozed to be played, basketball happens in the air; flying, floating, elevated above the floor, levitating the way oppressed peoples of this earth imagine themselves in their dreams.” ~ John Edgar Wideman
10) “It is most difficult, in my mind, to separate any success, whether it be in your profession, your family, or as in my case, in basketball, from religion.” ~ John Woodel
11) “Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better and your better is best.” ~ Tim Duncan
12) “Sometimes a player’s greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team” ~ Scottie Pippen
13) “There are really only two plays: Romeo and Juliet, and put the darn ball in the basket.” ~ Abe Lemons
14) “Basketball is a game that gives you every chance to be great, and puts every pressure on you to prove that you haven’t got what it takes. It never takes away the chance, and it never eases up on the pressure.” ~ Coach Bob Sundvold
15) “My responsibility is getting all my players playing for the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.” ~ Author Unknown
16) “The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.” ~ Bill Russell
17) “Basketball is the MTV of sports.” ~ Sara Levinson
18) “When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team.” ~ George Raveling
19) “You can run a lot of plays when your X is twice as big as the other guys’ O. It makes your X’s and O’s pretty good.” ~Paul Westphal
Hope you found a little humor in the basketball quotes. Go, cheer on your favorite team, and may the best team win!