According to the experts who conduct sales coaching and sales training courses, most of the sales objections take place when a sales rep has failed to show to the client the usefulness of the product. Overcoming these objections is a very important lesson for a sales rep. It is important to remember that the customer may not always give the actual reason for objecting to the sale. Sometimes it is actually the customer wants to know more about the product and so puts forward objections to know more about it. Even the customer may not realize this, but a good rep can make it out.
Sales coaching and sales training courses can show the different strategies of dealing with the objections. Here are some strategies to do that.
1. Establish trust. This of course has to be mutual. If you have established trust then the client is also going to have confidence in you. Make the client understand that you are the expert as far as the product is concerned. In the process if you are able to make friends with the client, even better. But, it is not absolutely necessary. It is enough if you gain their confidence and trust.
2. Be patient. Always listen carefully to any objection that is being raised. Analyze it. Is it actually an objection or is it just a ploy to delay the deal? Most often if it is an objection, the client is going to repeat it. You can clarify by asking questions starting with Dont you really mean or something like that.
3. Confirm with the client if it is the only objection. Dont ask it outright but, instead you can ask something like Is this the only reason you wont buy from our company? If they have other objections they will come out with it.
4. Confirm the same thing again. You can reword the question to ask the same thing again. For instance you can ask In other words, if it weren’t for the price, you’d buy my service. Is that true?
5. When you are asking the question, ask it in such a way that you give the solution to the objection. They should not feel that there is no way around the objection. For example if the objection for the warrantee you can ask So if I were able to get you a longer warrantee, would that be enough for you to make a decision?
6. The objection should be solved in such a way as to resolve the whole issue for once and all. You can pull out all the stops here. If you have testimonial letters or competitive comparison charts or special offer then, this is the time to bring them out.
7. Remember, now is the time to demonstrate the value of your product, list comparisons and show the benefits. If you cannot clarify the doubts of the client in a way that sets you apart from the other, you will never be able to close this sale. For that matter you will not get the confidence to close any other sale.
8. Ask a closing question or communicate in a speculative way. Ask a question, the answer to which confirms the sale. If I could do X, Y or Z , would you give me your order ? is the classic model for a close.
9. Narrate similar incidents that took place. It might have happened to you or might be another sales person. People always find comfort in knowing that others have gone through the same fate and if these people are known to your clients, even better.
10. Once all the objections have been resolved successfully, get the order in writing as much as possible. For this you can ask questions like When do you want it delivered? or When is the best day to begin.
Product knowledge, creativity, ingenuity, sales tools, and confidence in yourself, your product, and your company must all some together if you are to overcome sales objections and close the sale. You have to combine technique with honesty and conviction to get the prospect to resolve any lingering doubt or conflict.