1. Throw out those fancy pink duplicate phone message pads that everyone loved so much (in the 80s) and email phone messages through your organisation.
2. Dont mail out tax invoices email them. Why pay for printing, paper, a stamp and an envelope when you can just mail the invoice?
3. Set up a blog with an RSS feed as the memo board for your staff, if this sounds too techie set up a facebook fan page and do the same thing.
4. Ban overseas phone calls and have everyone use skype instead. If its a business call its probable that whoever theyre calling is going to have skype anyway.
5. Throw away your cheque book (well as much as you can). Pay everything by credit card or direct deposit (save the stamp, envelope and time).
6. Teach your staff the difference between using express / overnight delivery envelopes just cos theyre fun and pretty and actually needing to. Also teach them that when sending a letter in the same post code itll get there tomorrow anyway!
7. If you send out a printed newsletter stop! Cmon who doesnt have email these days its cheaper and youre killing less trees.
Ways to spend money thatll still save you money in the long term
8. Subsidise staff members gym memberships. Healthier, fitter staff have less sick days. If you were to subsidise $100 from an annual gym membership and it results in 2 less sick days a year youre way in front.
9. Get rid of the charity choccies and biscuits (sorry!) and have fresh fruit available for your staff to munch on. See point one about healthy staff being better staff.
10. Get a decent coffee machine in your office. 3 trips to the Starbucks a day aint cheap (on your business forget about on their pockets). If your staff are gone for 15 minutes a time for each coffee break, thats 45 minutes a day more productive they could be if the coffee were easier to get to. Also (considering my rant on health), get a water cooler and make it much easier to get to than the coffee pot.