On Monday, May 28th, we will honor those who died in service to our nation. What better way to recognize Memorial Day than to reflect on some inspirational and thought-provoking quotes from the men who made this country what it is today? Here are 10 patriotic quotes that would make any serviceman (and servicewoman) proud.
1. “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
2. “Discipline is the soul of an army. It makes small numbers formidable; procures success to the weak, and esteem to all.” ~ George Washington
3. “Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath?” ~ Thomas Jefferson
4. “Constitutions should consist only of general provisions; the reason is that they must necessarily be permanent, and that they cannot calculate for the possible change of things.” ~ Alexander Hamilton
5. “I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain.” ~ John Adams
6. “A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country.” ~ James Madison
7. “Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property… Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.” ~ Thomas Paine
8. “Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives.” ~ John Adams
9. “How soon we forget history… Government is not reason. Government is not eloquence. It is force. And, like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.” ~ George Washington
10. “When my country, into which I had just set my foot, was set on fire about my ears, it was time to stir. It was time for every man to stir.” ~ Thomas Paine
We may argue about politics and we may disagree about war, but there is one thing that none of us can dispute. The founding fathers of our country would be proud of each and every individual who has given his or her life in service to this great nation. Let’s take a moment to remember that this Memorial Day with the above patriotic quotes.