Graduation is right around the corner and if you’re one of the soon-to-be grads who will be walking across the stage, these 10 graduation quotes hold special meaning for you. There are many who have gone before you, and there will be many who follow — but right now it is your time to shine. Let these graduation quotes remind you of how special this time really is.
1. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.” ~ Dr. Seuss
2. “You cannot help but learn more as you take the world into your hands. Take it up reverently, for it is an old piece of clay, with millions of thumb prints on it.” ~ John Updike
3. “A professor is someone who talks in someone else’s sleep.” ~ W.H. Auden
4. “Don’t live down to expectations. Go out there and do something remarkable.” ~ Wendy Wasserstein
5. “If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door.” ~ Milton Berle
6. “What we are is God’s gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.” ~ Eleanor Powell
7. “When you feel discouraged or simply lazy, as is bound to happen sometimes, remember the millions of people in the world who have not had your privilege. Remember the poor and obscure lives of those countless millions who suffer from every sort of deprivation and frequently find themselves the unwilling victim of wars, and a variety of cruelties, perpetuated by man on man. Is it not significant that the first bid for self realization, among the poor and downtrodden, is to assert their right to education?” ~ Jehan Sadat
8. “The great value of formal education is that it is designed to foreshorten human experience. It endeavors with ease and economy to bring each succeeding generation up to date with respect to the past, and to make it at home in the world. In this sense, it prepares each generation for life.” ~ Virgil M. Hancher
9. “Education is the best provision for old age.” ~ Aristotle
10. “A college education is not a quantitative body of memorized knowledge salted away in a card file. It is a taste for knowledge, a taste for philosophy, if you will; a capacity to explore, to question to perceive relationships, between fields of knowledge and experience.” ~ A. Whitney Griswold
Graduation is more than just a day — it is a symbol of everything that you have worked hard for and accomplished. Let these 10 graduation quotes remind you of the true meaning of graduation, education and life in general.